Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Parent Teacher Conferences and US Politics

I'm almost 18, on the brink of adulthood. Therefore, it's a bit of a pain to undergo a Parent-Teacher Conference. Today was my last. Surprisingly, I didn't get nostalgic about it at all (can you blame me?). Of course, I am old enough (and wise enough) to let my mum go alone, which I did. As I write this, I am still tense about the outcome, but a phone call gave a wonderful teaser...
Apparently, I've done horribly in math and I am consequently going to, well, get beaten up for it. I have a long overdue library book, without returning which, I won't be allowed to graduate. And, I'm possibly grounded for the rest of my adolescent life.
So adieu, cruel world...

Meanwhile, in political news, Hillary and John McCain have won their respective Florida primaries. While this means nothing for the Dems (no delegates), it might be the coup de grace on Rudy Giuliani in the GOP stakes. My sympathies go with the guy, whose Florida stragedy (a la Jay Leno's Freudian slip) backfired amazingly. It seems both my fave Republicans - Giuliani and Huckabee are out of it. Even more reason to love the Dems.
By the way, I recently did some research into the candidates' compatibility with Indian interests. By making an unscientific and, at times arbitrary rating system, I ranked them in order of pro-Indianism. (Note: I've left out the ones who've dropped out)
  1. John Edwards (D) 41.7
  2. Barack Obama (D) 39.3
  3. Hillary Clinton (D) 34.9
  4. Ron Paul (R) 29.4
  5. Mike Huckabee (R) 27.33
  6. John McCain (R) 23
  7. Mitt Romney (R) 22.2
  8. Rudy Giuliani (R) 21.7

As you can see, the ratings have been based on their stands on various issues, and not my opinion of them (Giuliani is last). The issues taken were India, War on Terror, Pakistan, Energy, Trade, China, Climate Change, Immigration, Russia and Israel.

Ever Yours in Eternal Pain

Ciao!

No comments: